|Click on return arrow to
return to Home Page
Carriage Avenue was renamed Oakland Street in 1909
Amesburys Industries from 1870's-1950'sThese are industries that were once part of the industrial community that were essential to the prosperity of Amesbury and to the nation, but now, all are almost forgotten and information is very limited if at all. The Atlantic Company
23 Carriage Ave.
Makers of Speed Launches, Raceabouts, Dories, and Motors in all sizesOnly the dates and location were in the Amesbury city directories from 1905-1922. All other information was found by researching digitized boating magazines on the internet. It was first mentioned as being an exhibitor at the 1905 Boston Automobile and Boat Show as found in the 1905 Automobile and Cycle Trade Magazine. They were always a standout at the shows and their sales included the Life Saving Service, the United States Navy, now known as the Coast Guard, and to Light House Tenders. They were recognized worldwide as one of the best in any class.
The Atlantic Co. Factory at 23 Carriage Ave.
The above images are from an extremely rare catalogue that I own.
Atlantic Speed Boat on the Merrimac river by Point Shore
Copied from 1905 Boston Automobile and Motor Boat Show
The Atlantic Company, of Amesbury, Mass., have a very full line of motor boats, built on modernized methods, authentic designs, correct construction. It is probably the largest exhibit and one that includes almost every class of motor and auto boat is that of the Atlantic Company. This concern has twelve boats on exhibition, including the speedy Messenger, designed by L. S. Hewins, U. S. N. The model was made and tested at the Washington navy yard and the test was made in the large tank at that place. It is 25 feet long and can go a 20-mlle test. It has a 20-h.p. motor. Among the other boats exhibited by this company are three types of doriesa clipper dory, skiffs and a 25-foot launch.
Boats shown at the 1905 Boston Automobile and Boat Show
The 1906 Display at the Boston Automobile and Boat Show
Copied from the 1906 Boating Magazine
Probably the largest exhibit was that of the Atlantic Co., of their famous dories which were shown in all sizes and styles at prices within the reach of all.
That the dory type of motor boat is enjoying a steadily rising tide of popularity among yachtsmen and boat users generally is in large measure due to the efforts of the Atlantic Co., of Amesbury, Mass., who have brought this type of boat to a high stage of development and demonstrated that the qualities of staunchness and speed may be successfully combined. Correct design is the basic element of the able boat, and herein the Atlantic Co. has taken extraordinary pains. There is nothing experimental in any of their models. The experimental stage was passed before the model was put upon the market and only after the most thorough "trying-out" in all sorts of waters and all kinds of weather.
By a process of duplication of parts, peculiarly their own, the selected models are accurately reproduced in any desired quantity at a great economy of manufacturing cost. The boats built of these matched and interchangeable parts are necessarily exact duplicates of all other "Atlantic" boats of the same typeperfect mechanically and fast, safe and seaworthy in the highest degree.
"Atlantic" motor dories have a reputation all their own for stability of balance, easy riding in rough weather and heavy seas, great carrying capacity in proportion to size and for being comfortable, practical and desirable for pleasure, business or general use. That they are the "last word" in this type of construction is demonstrated by the high regard in which they are held by the United States Lighthouse and Life Saving Services, both of which use them extensively and endorse them heartily. The accompanying illustration shows two of these boats intended for life-saving service, in course of shipment.
Salisbury, MA Life Saving Station and Crew using Atlantic Boats
Copied from the 1906 Power Boating Magazine
A feature of the "Atlantic" motor dory construction is the manner in which the frames are cut from large pieces and bent to pattern by powerful machinery, a system that insures a lighter and stronger boat than was possible by old methods.
"Atlantic" motor dory skiffs, or "sporting dories" as they have been called, are especially designed for inshore and harbor use and for lakes and rivers. Maximum floor space is obtained by moderate overhangs and economy of room in the stowage of the motor, and gasoline tanks. They are comfortable, speedy, stable, staunch and seaworthy and are admirably adapted to general family use.
"Atlantic" speed launches are of the sensible, well designed and perfectly proportioned type. They are substantially built, with an aim to all-around good performance in rough or smooth water. Thoroughness of construction from models by the best designers and the use of the "Atlantic" and "Merrimac" motors of high power and light weight have given unequaled results in this type of boats of 21 and 23 feet in length. The company's aim is to produce a sensible, high-speed boat.
"Atlantic" marine motors are of the latest, fastest and most powerful designs and together with the "Atlantic" boats of all types are endorsed by such eminent designers as Crowninshield, Fred D. Lawley and others as being the best procurable. The motors are of 2-cycle, 3-port design, light and strong, with large bearings for continuous high running and light reciprocating parts. The submerged exhaust adds to the power of the engine. They are easily foremost as the simplest, handsomest, fastest and most reliable. "Atlantic" boats and motors make it possible to get a boat or motor of the highest class at a moderate cost.
In 1907 , they moved into the vacated Connor's Carriage factory on Carriage Avenue.
Copied from the 1907 Fore'an'Aft Magazine
Notice Point Shore in the background
The Advertisement Text
Atlantic Sea-Going DoriesNoted for correctness of style and high finish. Absolutely unequalled forsafety in rough water. After famous models furnished by us to the United States Light House, Life Saving and Navy Departments
.25 ft. Semi-Speed LaunchBeam -1 ft. 10 in., 12 to 40 H. P., has a speed ranging'from 14 to 20 miles an hour. Made from the most expensive material. Prices from $1,150 to $1,600.
21 and 23 ft. Raceabouts21 ft. equipped with 8 H. P. double cylinder motor, produces the high speed of 13 miles an hour. 12 H. P. 3 cylinder motor, 15 miles an hour. Both of these types whenever raced have proved to be in every instance champions in their class. Prices range from $600 to $1,100.
Atlantic Smooth Planked Clipper Launches23 ft. 7 in. and 5 ft. 7 in. beam. Designed for good speed and weather qualities, combining great stren gth and lightness. Price $650.
16 ft. Motor Dory SkiffsBeam 4 ft. 3 in. Inexpensive small motor boat for fishing purposes and yacht tenders, a good, sensible safe boat for boys. \% H. P. motor and will carry sufficient gasoline for full day's run. Substantially complete, quality guaranteed, price $ 125.
Atlantic Motors from 3 to 40 H. P. High quality metal, ball bearings fastest in the world, combined with lightness of weight. Motors of the highest type, latest and most correct design. We guarantee Atlantic Motors to develop their rated horse power and to be free from defective material and workmanship. In writing state requirements. Catalogues free. Boats can be seen at the Boston show rooms, 59 Haverhill St., Boston, Mass., and at the factory
1910 Advertisement in the Rudder Magazine
Lamps and Electric Parts ManufacturersIn the years that Atwood Mfg. Co. and Gray and Davis Mfg. Co.were in business, they made lamps for over half of the automobiles that were made in country. Both of these companies lamps were equally as good and popular. While doing shows, they Mr. Gray and Mr. Atwood would be seen talking to one another at one of their displays. Their displays were the most written about in automotive magazines of that era.
Letter written by a local Brass Workers' union president
FROM AMESBURY, MASS.Amesbury, Mass., March 6, 1906.
This town is a busy place at present with its car-loads of automobile lamps being shipped most every day to all parts of the country. There are two lamp shops here, also a brass foundry, all working to their full capacity. The Gray & Davis shop and the Atwood Manufacturing Company each employ about one hundred and fifty hands, consisting of thirty or forty buffers, twenty-five metal spinners, one hundred or so solderers and many press operators and helpers, the latter being mostly French Canadians and natives of the town. A few buffers and spinners are needed at the present time. The other industries of Amesbury are carriage shops and large cotton mills, also a thermometer factory and two shirt-making shops that employ a lot of girls who work ten long hours a day as do all the rest of us except "Father" who does ten and a half in the cotton mill. Thanks for the space More news next time.
Atwood Mfg. Co.
1874-1910 Atwood started making carriage lamps in 1871 and in was the first maker of automobile lamps
1899 Coach Lamp
Copied from the 1903 Automobile and Cycle Trade Magazine
The Atwood Mfg. Co. of Amesbury, Mass. made a very large exhibit of automobile lamps, including their famous Stay-Lit Lamp. Their new model for 1903 embodies all the up to date features and its popularity atested to the numbers seen on many new models at the show. They exhibited their very pretty tail lamp of solid brass. It was ball shape and made to lite the rear step of the automobile and at the same time, throw a red light at the sides of the rear. They also had a smaller size for roundabouts made of solid brass. Their lamps included both oil and electric.
Copied from the 1904 Issue of the Horseless Age Magazine
Atwood Mfg. Co.A complete line of Staylit oil ami acetylene lamps, of various sizes, the latter type being entirely new this season, is shown. Changes in the oil lamps consist chiefly in the fluted reflectors in the- No. 1 model, and heavy plate glass covering for all reflectors. The No. 3 has lens with colored section across the top, red in one anel green in the opposite side lamp. The tail lamp is a new production; is fitted with red lens in front, and has white lens of smaller size for throwing the light on steps or numbers carried on the rear of vehicles. A smaller size of tail lamp is also shown, made much on the same principle as the large one. Acetylene headlights are shown in four styles, the No. 6 and No. 5 being of the self-contained patterns, while the No. 4 ar.d No. 7 are made with independent generators. A new headlight, of the independent generator type, is shown, the shape following the lines of a cartridge- or bullet. A full line of brackets, for all styles of lamps, made by the company, is shown.
Cut from 1906 Automobile Magazine
The Atwood Manufacturing Company.
The Atwood Manufacturing Company not only had an imposing array of their lamps, but had the satisfaction of seeing a great number of them in use on machines which were on exhibition. Experience and careful attention to details have enabled the company to produce a class of lamps which are hard to beat. The style includes gas, oil, and tubular tail lamps for runabouts.
1906 Atwood Lamp Company Advertisement
Two 1906 Advertisements
1908 Side Lamps
Copied from the 1909 Edition of the Platers Magazine
Atwood, established in 1872 and the largest maker of carriage lamps in the world. According to this notice published in the 1909 Platers Magazine "The Atwood-Castlc Company has succeeded the Atwood Manufacturing Company, of Amesbury, Mass., manufacturers of automobile lamps. The change is one in name and the business remains the same. W. I. Atwood is president and treasurer, F. E. Castle, vice-president, and I. H. Atwood, secretary and general manager.
1910 Castle Lamp Company Advertisement
In 1910 or 19 11, the Castle Company moved to Selkirk, NY using the same patterns.
Castle Lamp Company moved to Batle Creek, MI in 1911.
Gray and Davis Mfg. Co
1900-1904 Mill St., 1904 99 Rail Road Ave. Gray and Davis Mfg. Co. was formed in the latter part of 1896 By William Gray, a lamp salesman, and Albert Davis, a carriage trimmer. 1900 Advertisement cut from the 1900 issue of the Horseless Age Magazine
Copied from the 1903 Horseless Age Magazine
Gray & Davis, of Amesbury, Mass., exhibited a complete line of their fine lamps. Mr. Gray, who was personally in charge of the exhibit, cited as a fact illustrating the high-grade character of their product, that all the rigs in the show equipped with their lamps listed over $2000. One night during the show, two or three of their finest lamps were stolen, which is another indication that their high grade is appreciated.1903 French Headlight Style, 12 1/2" deep, 13* high, and 7 1/2 wide
Two of these were stolen at his 1903 Boston Autmobile Show
Two 1904 advertisements show that is factory was on Mill Street. He moved to Rail Road Ave. in 1905
Copied from the 1909 Issue of the Horseless age Magazine
Gray & Davis, Amesbury, Mass., will exhibit their full lineof lamps, including a newtype of gas lamp. This is a close coupled lamp, and will be shown in two series of styles, one with large flaring flange or opening in front to allow the light to spread; the other of searchlight form, with a small flaring flange. Both styles are equipped with a front silver reflector put in for looks and reflecting powers. There will also be seen combination gas and electric lamps. Thef ocus mirror claimed to be of great light jiving qualities. There is a gas chamber at the base of the burner to prevent flickering of the flame, and does away with the need for a rubber bulb on the pipe line. All parts of the lamp are said to be easily replaceable.
John Kettering, an engineer for Detroit Electric Co, known as Delco, devised the electric starter for Cadillac Motors in 1911. General Motors bought the Delco Company and hired Kettering as its chief engineer. By doing this only General Motors would have the electric starters in their cars. But Gray and Davis, who had been working on their system since 1910, came out with their electric starter shortly thereafter. Any car company could by their starter that was better than General Motors. Consequently, theirs were the biggest sellers.
The article, photo, and diagrams were cut from the 1912 Electrical Magazine
Members of Local 47, Ameshury, Mass., working in the Gray & Davis lamp shop of Amesbury, Mass., have just secured an increase in wages from 90 cents to $1 per hour for both day and piece workers. This local has increased its rate since June 1, 1919, from 67 1/2 cents per hour to $1 per hour.Gray and Davis Co. moved to Cambridge, MA in 1926.
Hoyt Peanuts, Peanut Butter, and Candies
1902-1917, 2 Greenwood St., 1917, 11 Oakland Street
Frank Hoyt with His Buffalo Brand Delivery Truck
Frank M. Hoyt ground his first bag of peanuts into peanut butter in 1902 in a hand mill, During his visit to the World's Fair in Buffalo NY, he decided to name his brand "Buffalo" His first year's sale was a thousand dollars. He moved into the wholesale business and branched out into several varieties of peanuts and candy. By 1923, he was selling his brand of products throughout North Amnerica and eight other foreign countries. His containers are highly sought after and command premium prices.
Hoyt Brands of peanuts and peanut butter were packaged under three different trade names, Buffalo, Pickaninny, and Powow. Buffalo with the Buffalo logo was the earliest and most common. It was packaged in a large variety of containers in one, two, five, and ten pound containers. Pickaninny with a black child logo was second and scarce. It was packaged in one and ten pound containers. The Powow brand had an Indian chief for its logo and was packaged in ten pound containers. These containers are very rare and expensive on today's market.
His Butta-Kiss candy was one of the most popular brands in the country and they could be seen sitting on grocery and candy stores counters in a five and ten pound cardboard freight cars. These were there for convenience of small quantities. A large Buta-Kiss tin container was always present for customers who wanted to purchase a larger amount to take home.
1n 1925, the Amesbury Rotary Club was chartered with Frank M. Hoyt as a member and he became its president in 1928.
These news items were published in the 1916 Issue of Simmon's Spice Mill Magazine
F. M. Hoyt Co., Amesbury, Mass., report an increased demand for their "Buffalo" brand peanut butter, and additions have been made to their plant to give them a greater output. The new equipment includes a Burns No. 6 roaster, with special cylinder for shelled peanuts
The item in this column of the May number, regarding F. M. Hoyt & Co., Amesbury, Mass.. was not entirely correct. The business of this concern, who manufacture the "Buffalo" brand of peanut butter and fancy salted nuts, has so outgrown its present quarters that they are forced to get more room. Mr. Hoyt decided to buy a plant which could be arranged to suit his conveniences and recently purchased of the Shields Carriage Co. their three story brick manufacturing building and the land which extends from Carriage Ave. through to the B. & M. railroad. It is an ideal location for Mr. Hoyt's business, being so near the railroad that it will be possible to have an elevator at the rear of the building down to the tracks of the B. & M. so that the large amount of freight of the firm can be handled without any teaming. It is Mr. Hoyt's intention to do a large amount of work in alterations and equipment of the new plant for the manufacture of the "Buffalo" brand products, for which it will be exclusively used. The new plant will give the firm about four times as much floor space as at present, and where the firm now employ 40 girls, they expect to give employment to 100. H. S. Lamb, formerly of the Keystone Telephone system of Philadelphia, has entered the employ of Mr. Hoyt and will be the general manager of the plant. It will probably be several months before the business will be moved to the new plant.
Pettingell Machine CO.
Pettingell Machine Company was one of the oldest manufacturers in AmesburyCopied from Coachbuilt
By 1873, Pettingell had established his own machine shop and business must have been good as he married S. Ellen Bartlett, the 20-year-old daughter of W.H. and Louise Bartlett on December 16, 1874.
Pettingell licensed wheel-making equipment from local carriage-makers such as Joseph Richardson Locke of Locke & Jewell (manufacturers of the Warner patent wheel) in addition to devising his own time saving appliances. Pettingell was soon advertising the Locke-based C.F. Pettingell rim and felloe rounding machine.
Wheel Rounding Machine Showing Number and Date
These are some of his patented machines: rim planing machine, hub mortising-machine, with cutter or cones, polishing-machine for polishing spokes, rim-rounder, rim boring-machine, spoke tenoning-machine, lathes, with or without centering-machine, spoke smutting-machine, or re-tenoner, spoke facing-machine, surface-planer for rims, polishing-machine for carriage-woodwork, and many more.
Locke and Jewell and Petingell Machine Co. were located adjacent to each other on Mechanics Row near Pattens Pond. In 1887, a fire heavily damaged both firms and had to be rebuilt. When the devasting fire hit Carriage Hill and destroyed a large portion of the carriage factories, Locke and Pettingell were able to keep making products. Another fire in 1891 also did heavy dame to both firms.
By 1900, Pettingell had invented several more machines that included the tenoners, tilting arbor table saws, friction cutters, and rolling formers for sheet metal fabrication, and rim and fellow rounding machines.
In 1903, the carriage trade was hard hit by a labor strike that lasted for three months. Almost all of the smaller shops went out of business and the larger shops divided their business between carriages and automobile body building. At the beginning of the automobile manufacturing, almost all bodies were made of wood. but by 1905, sheet metal was being used more and more. There was one drawback for this and it was the amount of time and lack of skilled metal workers to do the jobs. Every metal part of the body had to be hand hammered. Pettingell recognized the problem, and he began to invent a machine to do the job. In 1906, The Pettingell Powered Hand Hammer was made, tested in the Amesbury shops, and put on the market. Where it took a full day to make a metal body part, now one could be made in less than an hour.
This was the beginning of the composite automobile body, meaning the frame was made of wood and sheet metal was attached to the wood. These bodies lasted until Fisher Body quit this practice in 1936.
The automatic hammers were so popular that almost every large automobile garage or body maker was using them. Fisher Body had over 500 of them. Pettingell did not rest on its laurels. They invented over fifteen other machines used not only in body work but in all wood working shops.
1908 Pettingell Advertisement
THE CARRIAGE MONTHLY
A review of the growth of the metal hody business for automobiles takes one to Amesbury, Mass., where the work was first done in a small way by hand, then the increased demand called for machinery and change in method of manufacturing from hand work to machinery designed and built for this special line of work to supply the demands for aluminum and sheet steel bodies. Considerable credit for encouraging, assisting and developing the metal body business should be given to the Pcttingell Machine Co., Amesbury, Mass., the home of the industry, as the management has from the beginning persistently worked and kept experts in touch with workmen in the various shops to develop and build special machinery for the various parts of the work, and encouraged and advised the various body manufacturers to add metal body machinery to their line and be prepared for their share of the enormous business which would surely develop.
They have found the cost of extra or special machines needed to enable manufacturers to make both wood and metal bodies is small compared with the large field for the work. They have built many special machines for various factories and builders and also developed a standard line of machines for metal body work that are now recognized and indorsed the world over and are in use in all the principal factories in America and have also shipped to England, Germany, Australia, Canada and Italy, and are rapidly being installed by many other factories as they see the trend of business towards metal bodies.
The machine company is
continually adding to their standard line of machinery any machines or equipment which
prove practical and useful after thoroughly trying out on actual work. The old time
carriage and body factories of Amesbury, which formerly set the style and standard for
quality and work for the world, are all rushed on orders for metal bodies for high-grade
automobiles, using Pettingell machinery which has enabled them to keep up their reputation
of making the best bodies in the world. Manufacturers in other cities alive to the
progress of the Amesbury manufacturers and the possibilities of their metal body work have
ordered and installed large numbers of the Pettingell machines in their factories. In
Detroit, which is rapidly forging to the front as the largest automobile center of the
world, the manufacturers have discarded many of their old line machines and installed
large numbers of the various Pettingell machines. In one factory alone (Fisher Body Co.)
they have 17 Pettingell patented automatic hammers, large and small, for various kinds of
work, and full equipment of beading machines, metal cutting machines, rolling machines and
punches, also five Pettingell patent saw lenoners as well as bevel and miter saws,
irregular dressers, etc., and can find no other machines better than the Pettingell line
for quality and quantity of work.
The Pettingell Machine Co., Amesbury, Mass., manufacturers of carriage and automobile machinery, received a personal visit from Paul Kellner, of Kellner & Sons, Paris, France, in January. The object of Mr. Kellner's call was to purchase some of the Pettingell metal body machinery, which will be sent to the factory in Paris, the finest and largest in France. Mr. Kellner stated that orders for additional machinery would follow as soon as he returned to his home city. The Pettingell company has recently shipped machines to Austria; Turin, Italy, and London, Eng., and are preparing another shipment for Austria. They have just made arrangements with the A. R. Williams Machinery Co., Canada, with branch houses in St. John, Montreal, Toronto, Winnepeg and Vancouver, to act as special agents in the Dominion. Already a number of the largest manufacturers in Canada are using the Pettingell machinery in their factories.
1913 Pettingell Machinery Advertisement
1913 Pettingell Advertisement
Copied from the 1913 Carriage Monthly Magazine
New Department of the Pettingell Machine Co.
In this number of The Carriage Monthly the Pettingell Machine Co., Amesbury, Mass., are notifying the automobile body manufacturers that they will add to their plant a department in which they will do high-grade metal body work, also work on metal parts. Heretofore they have confined themselves to the manufacture of machinery for wood and metal bodies, but the increasing demand for metal working machines has exhausted the supply of expert men, and they are continually receiving requests from various manufacturers for competent operators to work the machines.
In order to help out the body manufacturers, the Pettingell Machine Co. have secured the services of Gottlieb Bela, one of the best workmen, if not the best, in this country, and they will take such work as the "various manufacturers cannot do in their own plants and will guarantee to do all such work in a first-class manner. They do not intend to handle the cheaper class of work, but will confine themselves strictly to high-grade production. They will also take workmen from the different factories using their machinery and teach them how to run the machines and thus enable the manufacturers, in the future, to do all classes of work in their own shops. This is a chance of a life time for young men who wish to learn this business, and at the same time it enables body builders to send the most difficult parts of the work where they are sure it will be done in a satisfactory manner. From manufacturers doing high-class (duplicate) mill work the Pettingell Machine Co. would require one form or sample sent them, and they will complete and return as many parts as wanted, all existence of the motor-driven vehicle." perfectly done.
Another advertisement was placed laterin the 1913 Carriage Monthly Magazine.
March, 1914. THE CARRIAGE MONTHLY
The making of dies or forms to press out the metal stock for a sample job is too expensive a process, unless a quantity order is certain to follow, and this you cannot be sure of until after the sample has been submitted. Whether it is the entire metal work or only some part that is giving your workmen trouble, the Pettingell Machine Co., through its metal body department, is prepared to help you. This company manufactures metal automobile body machinery used in leading factories here and abroad, and the Pettingell experts have perfected themselves in the use of these machines, turning out the highest possible grade of work."
The company has recently opened a body shop, in which their experts are prepared to assist all manufacturers in any work that is causing trouble. They also get out your sample work and do any of your special jobs in metal body construction that require special facilities and unusual skill. Particulars will be mailed to manufacturers of vehicle bodies upon request to The Pettingell Machine Co., Amesbury, Mass.
Pettingell had now decided to make complete bodies for any interested company. A separate department was formed as the metal body department.
This body work was one of the finest examples of an automobile body yet made. It shows the craftman's skill employed by the Pettingell company and the glass work manufactured by the Amesbury Bent Glass Company.
In 1913, Pettingell Machine Co. moved its metal body department to 79 Elm Street which is on the corner of Clark and Elm Streets.Walker-Wells had recently moved their compnay to the corner of Chestnut and Oakland Streets.Its first contract wwas with Winton Automobile Co., Cleveland. OH, and Franklin Auitomobile Co., Syracuse, NY, with Biddle and Smart doing the decorating.
In 1915, Pettingell Machine Co. was reorganized and Charles Pettingell, son of the founder, went to work with Walker-Wells. The firm was sold to Gottlieb Bela, foreman of the metal body making department, with this department becoming the Bela Body Company.
With the build up towards the preparation of a war, other companies builders of airplanes and trucks began to buy Pettingell's machines. By 1915, Pettingell Machine Co. had too many contracts to fulfill. so the he moved the body company to Framingham, MA for assembling only. The body parts were still being made in Amesbury. Within a short time, he had body orders from some of the most prestigeous car manufacturers in the country.
Advwertisements copied from the 1917 Automobile Industry Magazine
The above adertisements are for machiinery. Within a short period of time, orders were received from the Canadian and British governmnets
This advertisement shows that the factory in Framingham was for
assembling bodies only
When the Untited States entered in to World War One, all automobile companies were to concentrate on war machinery. Thus, Bela closed down his body departments and began only to make machinery for the war effort. In 1918, Bela sold his body making company to Henry Long, Framingham, MA, who had made a fortune by selling knapsacks to the government.
In 1926, The Pettingell Machine CO was sold to four Hungarian businessmen who moved it to Lawrence. When the United States entered into World War Two in December of 1941, President Roosevelt gave an order that any business owned by foreigners of a government that was ties to Germany would be consificated and sold. The Pettingell Machine Company was sold to a group of businessmen from Laconia, NH and moved there. It was in business until 1956.
Merrimac Hat Factory
Merrimac Hat Factory, 1890s Copied from the History of Essex County, compiled by D. Hamilton Hurd, 1888 Of the first seventeen who became sole proprietors of the town in 1654, not one, so far as can be ascertained, was a hatter. The introduction of this branch was by Deacon Moses Chase, of Newbury, a descendant of Aquila Chase. The exact time when he commenced the business cannot be determined, but in 1707 he petitioned the town for a small piece of land on the Ferry road, next to Powow River, to build a hatter's shop on. The request was granted, he receiving a lot thirty feet square.
There is a tradition that his first shop stood near the small brook in the rear of the houses on the west side of the street, ,and the fact that he was here and taxed four years before, asking for the lot beside the Powow, would seem to confirm the tradition. In 1703 he paid only a poll-tax, but the next year he was rated for some property, which may have been a shop where he was working.
How long the business was continued at the Ferry by Deacon Chase and his son Bailey is not known, but the shop was occupied for hatting many years. The late Daniel Long manufactured hats here for some time. Nearly three-fourths of a century ago the business was started at the Mills, on Main Street, in the building since converted into a dwellinghouse, owned and occupied by the late Daniel Morrill.
About 1838 Isaac Martin, a native of the Ferry, commenced hatting near Powow River bridge, in the basement of the house now owned by Timothy Bagley. Associated with him was the late Albert Gale. Subsequently they removed to the old building on the wharf, where the business was continued till about 1853. In the mean time the late Abner L. Bailey had become connected with the business and by his energy and perseverance became very successful. After continuing the business some length of time, mostly at Salisbury Point, under the title of "Merrimac Hat Company," a new company was formed, called the " Amesbury Hat Company," and the town landing (near Powow River bridge) purchased, on which a large factory was built. Before going into operation this company was consolidated with the Merrimac Hat Company," of which Mr. Bailey was agent and a large owner.
In 1804 Alfred Bailey organized the " Horton Hat Company," which commenced operations near the present large mill on Merrimac Street. This company sold out to the Merrimac Company July 18, 1806, when the latter company assumed the entire business.
The company now employ one hundred and sixty-nine hands; one hundred and eighteen males and fifty-one females. The number of hats manufactured in 1886 was forty-one thousand four hundred and ninety-eight dozen, valued at two hundred and eighty-three thousand dollars. For the last thirteen years the present efficient agent, R. B. Hawley, Esq., has had charge of the business.
Rear view of the factory
Hat Factory view from Merrimac Street
In 1878, Merrimac Hat Factory was given permission to build a new factory on the Merrimac River at Bailey's stream.
The company grew to be the largest hat manufacturers in the world with six factories in the United States and one in Canada. The sales diminished quickly during the 1940s when felt hats became out of fashion and it closed down in 1952.